Johnny Depp today claimed he decided to divorce Amber Heard after she defecated in their marital bed ‘as a prank’ as he denied hitting her and said that she had abused him throughout their marriage.
The Hollywood legend, 57, is suing The Sun for labeling him a ‘wife beater’ and today branded those accusations ‘sick and completely untrue’ at a long-awaited blockbuster libel trial at the High Court in London.
But the most sensational revelation from Depp was that he decided to divorce Heard after faeces was left in their bed.
In a written statement, the actor said Heard or ‘possibly one of her friends’ was responsible for the incident, but claimed she dismissed it as ‘just a harmless prank’, and he said it was the final straw in their deteriorating marriage.
Today, he took to the stand to deny ever hitting Heard, as a series of newspaper stories alleged, and said it was ‘inconceivable’ that he would ever hit a woman, citing his Southern upbringing and saying he considers chivalry ‘very important’.
He said: ‘It is a strong and central part of my moral code that I would never strike a woman, under any circumstances, at any time. I find it simply inconceivable and it would never happen.’
While denying attacking Heard he also launched a blistering attack on her, accusing her of being a ‘calculating, narcissistic sociopath’ who married him to further her career.
His defence reeled off a string of incidents in which she had allegedly attacked him throughout their marriage including when she threw a vodka bottle at him, severing his finger, in Australia in 2015.
Depp also cited another incident in which she ‘repeatedly’ punched him in the face on a private jet in 2014 and claimed that she punched him again as he fled to the toilet.
In contrast, the actress’ lawyers painted Depp as a domestic abuser who repeatedly attacked her when he was drunk or high on drugs.
In other developments during the dramatic opening session –
- Depp accused Heard of being a calculating, narcissistic sociopath who married him to progress own career;
- Said Heard once told his former head of security, Mr Jerry Judge, that the actor was a ‘fat old man’ and ‘she did not know why she married me’;
- Star insisted he was never violent, but admitted to trying ‘every kind of drug known to man very young age’;
- He spoke about the abuse he had suffered during his childhood, and said drugs helped deal with ‘pain’;
- Admitted to taking drugs with Marilyn Manson ‘twice’ and another time with Avengers star Paul Bettany;
- Recalled how friend River Phoenix tragically died of a heroin overdose at his nightclub in West Hollywood;
- Remembered ‘trashing’ hotel where he was staying with Kate Moss in 1994, landing him with a $10,000 bill;
- In 1999, Depp said he assaulted photographers to protect then-partner, Vanessa Paradis, who was pregnant;
- Claimed to spend ‘much’ more than £24,000 a month on wine but said Elton John helped him to go straight;
- Referred to Vanessa Paradis as the ‘pain the a**e French ex albatross’;
- Depp’s lawyer alleged that Heard had ‘two extra-marital affairs’ or ‘extra-relationship affairs’ with Elon Musk and James Franco;
- Meanwhile, Heard’s lawyer revealed messages in which he called himself ‘the monster’ – which she claimed was his ‘drunken alter-ego’;
- Denied ‘any physical altercation’ with a crew member he was accused of attacking in 2017 on the set of his film, City Of Lies.