Five Days, One Unidentified Body and Too Many Questions: The Kafwaya Account Demands Answers
By Infinity Editor
There are moments when a government statement is supposed to close a chapter.
The Central Joint Operations Committee’s statement on the death of former Lunte Member of Parliament Mutotwe Kafwaya has done the opposite.
It has opened an even larger set of questions..
According to the statement issued on August 19, a joint task force conducted an intelligence-led operation at a named residence in Kabulonga on August 14, around 19:30 hours. The security agencies say they were met with gunfire, returned fire and fatally wounded an “unidentified male person”, who was rushed to hospital and pronounced dead.
The authorities now say that, following social media reports concerning a missing person, efforts were made to establish whether the body was that of Kafwaya. The family was subsequently called and positively identified him.
That timeline raises a fundamental question:
How could a joint security operation, involving multiple intelligence and security agencies, end with one person being killed, yet the authorities did not know for five days who that person was?
This is not an accusation. It is a question that demands a credible answer.
From “he was not there” to “he was the unidentified body”
The public has to reconcile several versions of events.
Earlier, Information and Media Permanent Secretary Thabo Kawana reportedly went to Maina Soko and told the nation that Kafwaya was not there. That was not a social-media rumour. It was an official reassurance.
The police subsequently issued a statement disputing Brian Mundubile’s account that his residence had been ambushed.
The public therefore had two important assurances: that Kafwaya was not at the location and that the account of an ambush was being rejected.
Social media reacted with ridicule.
Even media platforms, including Infinity, dismissed the circulating claims that Kafwaya had been killed or shot, because at the time there appeared to be insufficient evidence to support such an extraordinary claim.
Five days later, the country is told that the unidentified man who died during the operation was, in fact, Mutotwe Kafwaya.
That is an extraordinary reversal.
And the question is not whether social media should be trusted over government.
It is why the government itself appears to have needed social media reports about a missing person before establishing the identity of a man who, according to its own statement, had been fatally wounded during a security operation at a residence where the authorities were conducting an intelligence-led operation.
Did nobody know who was inside?
The statement says the security wings had been monitoring activities involving “individuals of national interest” since November 2023.
It says the operation was intelligence-led.
It says the authorities had intelligence concerning the premises.
It says 11 people were apprehended.
It says numerous firearms, ammunition, tactical equipment and electronic devices were recovered.
Yet the dead man remained “unidentified” until family members were contacted five days later.
That creates a serious credibility problem.
If intelligence agencies had been monitoring these individuals for nearly three years, what intelligence did they have about the people who were expected to be at the premises?
If the operation was specifically intelligence-led, who did the task force believe it was confronting?
If Kafwaya was one of the people allegedly under surveillance, why was his identity apparently not immediately established?
And if he was not the target, how did a former Member of Parliament end up being the unidentified fatality at the centre of the operation?
These are questions that cannot simply be dismissed as “social media speculation.”
Then there is the gunfire
The most consequential part of the statement is perhaps the shortest.
The authorities say:
“Upon arrival at the residence, the joint task force team was welcomed with gunfire and resistance from unknown individuals, resulting in the task force returning fire.”
This establishes the official position: there was an exchange of gunfire.
But an exchange of gunfire is an evidential claim.
It should therefore be capable of forensic verification.
Where are the bullet trajectories?
Where are the cartridge cases?
Where are the bullet impacts?
Which firearm fired which rounds?
Was the firearm allegedly recovered from Kafwaya subjected to ballistic examination?
Did it contain ammunition?
Was it fired?
If it was fired, can bullets or cartridge cases recovered from the scene be forensically linked to it?
What weapon did the security team use?
How many rounds were fired by each side?
Where exactly was Kafwaya when he was shot?
What was the distance between him and the officers?
What was the trajectory of the fatal shot?
Was he shot from the front, side or rear?
These are not sensational questions. They are the basic questions that any credible investigation into a fatal shooting should answer.
What happened inside that house?
The authorities describe the premises as containing a considerable cache of weapons and tactical equipment.
Five AK-47 rifles.
A Zastava pistol.
Military-version UZI weapons.
Ammunition.
A bulletproof vest.
A commando dagger.
Night-vision binoculars.
Walkie-talkies.
Tactical gloves.
Other equipment.
If such an arsenal was present and a gun battle actually occurred, the physical scene should tell part of the story.
Was the house damaged by gunfire?
Were walls, windows, doors or vehicles struck?
Were there blood trails?
Were bullet holes documented?
Were weapons found in positions consistent with their alleged use?
Were fingerprints or DNA recovered?
Were the firearms photographed exactly where they were found?
Were body-worn cameras, CCTV recordings or other surveillance footage available?
The CJOC says a DVR and video splitter were recovered and that electronic devices will undergo forensic examination.
That makes the eventual forensic findings even more important.
The public should not have to rely solely on competing narratives.
The scene itself should be allowed to speak.
Would Mundubile really open fire with his family inside?
There is another question that deserves careful treatment.
Brian Mundubile has disputed the authorities’ description of events.
The government’s version effectively requires the public to accept that armed individuals at the premises opened fire on a joint security task force.
But if Mundubile was at or connected to the residence, and if his family and children were present, a reasonable question arises: would he knowingly initiate an armed confrontation in a home occupied by his own family?
That question does not prove that he did not.
It does not prove that he did.
It simply means his account deserves to be tested against physical evidence rather than dismissed or accepted on political grounds.
The same standard must apply to the government.
Neither side should be allowed to replace evidence with narrative.
The five-day gap is perhaps the biggest question
The most difficult part of the statement to understand is the chronology.
August 14: the operation occurs.
A man is allegedly shot.
He is taken to hospital.
He dies.
August 19: the nation is told that the deceased was Mutotwe Kafwaya.
And the explanation given is that social media reports concerning a missing person triggered efforts to establish his identity.
That means the authorities appear to be saying they knew they had killed one unidentified person but did not know that person was Kafwaya until days later.
If that is exactly what happened, the public deserves to know why.
Was the body registered under an unknown identity?
Was fingerprint identification attempted?
Was there an identification document?
Were photographs taken?
Was DNA considered?
Was the body formally examined by a pathologist?
When did the authorities first become aware that Kafwaya might have been involved?
Who first reported him missing?
When was the family contacted?
When did the family identify the body?
And crucially, what did the post-mortem establish about the cause, manner and circumstances of death?
Those answers could either strengthen the official account or expose contradictions within it.
The public deserves more than two competing stories
There is a danger here of turning Kafwaya’s death into another political contest in which one side believes the government and another believes the opposition.
That is not good enough.
A human being is dead.
A family has lost a husband, father, relative and friend.
Eleven people remain in custody over allegations including treason.
The state says it recovered a substantial quantity of weapons and other equipment.
The opposition disputes aspects of the government’s account.
And the country is being asked to accept an extraordinary sequence of events in which a man allegedly killed during an intelligence-led operation remained unidentified for five days.
This is precisely where institutions must rise above politics.
The government should release the forensic evidence that can lawfully be made public.
The family deserves answers.
The detained individuals deserve due process.
The public deserves a transparent account.
And journalists must keep asking uncomfortable questions.
Not because every government statement is automatically false.
Not because every opposition allegation is automatically true.
But because when a citizen dies during a state security operation, accountability cannot end with a press statement.
The CJOC itself says the recovered firearms, ammunition, electronic devices and other materials are being subjected to forensic examination.
Good.
Then let the forensic evidence determine the story.
If the evidence confirms that Kafwaya was armed, participated in the exchange of gunfire and was fatally wounded during a lawful response by security officers, that evidence should be capable of demonstrating it.
If the evidence tells a different story, that must also be confronted.
Either way, the country needs facts.
Because five days after a man was allegedly shot during a security operation, telling the nation that he was “unidentified” until social media prompted further inquiries leaves one unavoidable question hanging over this entire affair:
If the state knew who it was looking for, knew where it was going, knew who it had arrested, knew that someone had been fatally wounded, and had the body in its custody, how did it not know that the dead man was Mutotwe Kafwaya?
That question deserves an answer.
And not another statement.
It deserves evidence.

